Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness caused by a new virus. Symptoms range from a mild cough to pneumonia. Some people recover easily, others may get very sick very quickly. There is evidence that it spreads rapidly from person to person. The World Health Organization has announced that COVID-19 is a pandemic.
Fostering Connections is following advice from federal and state governments to protect people most at risk and slow the rate of community transmission. The need for foster carers remains, and we are working to ensure that carers and children alike are safe and supported during this challenging time.
Below are resources to support carers and agencies with the latest information and advice.
If you suspect you have COVID-19, call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398, open 24 hours, 7 days. Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.
Sources of information:
The coronavirus situation is changing every day so it is important to regularly check updates from authorised sources of information.
You can find a collection of COVID-19 resources relevant to foster carers and foster care workers at the Centre's Foster Care Workers Resource Hub. This includes information about working through COVID-19, financial support, learning resources, and housing information.
You can download our toolkit for foster carers with children and young people who are staying home during the pandemic here.
The Victorian Department of Health and Human Services has a comprehensive collection of resources, including:
- Key information about the coronavirus
- Information for travellers returning to Australia
- What is physical distancing and why is it important?
- Information for Aboriginal communities
- Translated resources
The Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare has resources and toolkits for parents and carers, including:
- General information for parents and carers, including resources for people with a disability, learning resources, and mental health resources
- A guide to talking to your children about COVID-19
- Factsheet: What COVID-19 means for children and families
- Booklet: Coronavirus information for young children created by Manuela Molina.
COVID-19 is having significant impacts on families, communities, and the economy. As such we are still in need foster carers. If you are interested, please get in touch with us.